- Do you think about pizza from the moment you wake up in the morning to the moment you go to sleep at night? And then do you dream about pizza?
- Do you feel like you have to eat pizza in order to have a good time?
- Has your love of pizza caused a rift between you and your friends/family?
- Are the majority of your text messages from Pizza Hut, Dominos and Papa John’s?
- Is this girl you?
If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to one or more of the above questions, then you may be suffering from pizza addiction. As an addict myself, I can assure you that you’re not alone.
I know this is a bit unorthodox, but I seriously believe there is no cure for pizza addition. However, there are some things you can do to make being a pizza addict more enjoyable. They are:
Make Your Own Pizza:
When a pizza craving strikes, it takes a lot not to simply place on online order. After a few clicks (the website has saved your payment details, of course) you get to watch intently as it goes from ‘Order Placed’ to ‘Order is Being Prepared’ to ‘Order is in the Oven’ to ‘Order is Being Delivered’. Ahhhh! It’s so thrilling!
But enough of this laziness! Why not mix it up and enjoy some homemade za that’s had your blood, sweat and tears (ew) put into it?
Roll up your sleeves, throw some flour, water and yeast in a bowl and craft those perfectly circular dough patties just like Mamma used to make! Here’s an easy pizza dough recipe and here are some creative pizza topping ideas (though I am more of a traditionalist myself).
Explore Different Variants on Pizza:
Again, in the spirit of mixing it up, it’s worthwhile to dabble in the various pizza-related creations the free market has produced over the years. For example:
- Pizza Rolls - delectable miniature bites of pizza that will almost certainly burn the roof of your greedy pizza-loving mouth.
- Pizza Pockets – the calzone-like microwavable pizza creations loved by frat guys everywhere.
- Pizza Flavour-Blasted Goldfish crackers – Not even very good, but you should try them.
- Pizza-flavoured Doritos and Pringles – I’ve never tried either of these, but I would highly doubt they’re anything but wonderful.
Go on a Pizza Holiday:
You aren’t a true pizza connoisseur until you’ve visited the world’s biggest pizza hubs- New York City, Chicago, Rome and (perhaps surprisingly) Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Try a classic slice of New York city plain cheese pizza (local tip: fold it in half as you eat it), a hearty piece of Chicago’s famous deep-dish variety and Rome’s classically thin crust topped with only the freshest ingredients.
In Sao Paulo, which labels itself ‘The Pizza Capital of the World’, people eat pizza every Sunday and the entire city honours ‘Pizza Day’ every July 10th. Why did they name is Sao Paulo when they could have just called it Heaven?
So, am I basically saying that the best way to approach pizza addiction is to eat more pizza? Yes, yes I am.
To play us out:
What do you love about pizza? What’s the best type of crust? Where’s the world’s best pizzeria? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.