School may just be starting, but we still have the weekend to de-stress and unwind. And of course, what could be better for unwinding than an entire change of scenery and pace? Get out of the hustle and bustle of the city for a few days with one of these country holidays:
5. If you’re not afraid of going somewhat off the beaten track, a skiff holiday is what you need for dialling the frenetic weekday pace back a bit. Imagine floating down the North Thames in a skiff that’s over 100 years old, stopping every so often for a riverside pub or a quaint B&B. Heaven! It’s definitely a trip to work in quick before winter starts setting in, though.
4. For those really looking to get away from it all, Eilean Shona House in Argyll could be your cup of tea. The island off the west coast of Scotland may have no cars, shops or television, but has miles of white beaches and wild woods to explore. It’s also a foodie’s paradise, as the self-catered accommodation offers delivery of provisions from local merchants on the mainland.
3. Love the great outdoors but not too fond of roughing it with traditional camping? Try a yurt instead for some high-quality glamping (glam camping if you haven’t caught this summer’s big travel buzzword). Best of all, most of the accommodations feature wood-burning stoves or similar to keep you warm and toasty during the long evenings.
2. For a bit more flexibility on location, look no further than your friendly neighbourhood National Trust for Scotland. They have a full catalogue of historic cottages and houses for rent all around Scotland, catering to pretty much every party size and price point (if you have the cash to spend, you can even rent rooms in a castle!) With the upcoming changing leaves, we’d especially recommend the properties in Aberdeenshire for the scenery.
1. If your dream weekend break is one long open road, try renting a shiny silver vintage Airstream trailer for a good old-fashioned road trip. With the Cadillac of caravans at your side, you’ll be able to live all your American movie fantasies right at home, no matter what part of the country you’re based in.